Having recently made the transition from working within various Account Directing / Print Management roles and into the world of Head Hunting and recruiting, I wanted to find a way to illustrate just how diverse and rich our Print and Packaging industry is in terms of functions that are performed within the life cycle of a project. So the idea is if you knew nothing about the type of careers that are available, after reading this you should have more of an insight.
So this in mind, I have looked at the last major project I worked on (with my Print Management hat on) which was for a major Studio within the Home Entertainment industry. It was a Special Packaging, multi component project for a BD (Blu-Ray) release made up of a mixed media of Rigid Box, Folding Box Board and Paper products:
Client Side (where the concept is derived and sales driven)
- Marketing - Product Manager / Marketing Manager – positions are held centrally and also within each territory globally to facilitate the release.
- Sales - Regional Sales / Business Development / Sales Director
- Creative – Creative Services Director and Creative Services Manager work centrally with a Creative Agency (Graphic Designer /Artworker / Account Manager) to create GENERIC artwork for all elements of the box set. This is then localised, where applicable, within major territories by local agencies (Artworker / Project Manager / Account Director)
- Operations – Operations Director engages / manages supply chain globally.
- Legal – Lawyer/s of varying categories.
Supplier Side (trusted Partners who deliver the required finished product)
- Print Management – Print Management Director, Project Manager (in some instances there would also be Territory Managers but not on this project)
- Printers – Structural Packaging Designer (CAD), Estimator, Production Planner / Manager, Business Development / Sales Manager, Pre Press / Artworker, Press Minder, |Die-Cutter / Gluer, Packers, Shipping / Logistics Manager, Accounts Payable / Ledger , Managing Director, CEO
- Fulfilment & Distribution - Shipping / Logistics Manager, Packers, Account Manager, Territory Manager, Operations Director, Business Development / Sales Manager , VP Supply Chain
So you will see that the list is long! And this is only one example. Different disciplines would throw up even more types of roles, it's fascinating! I hope you have found this intriguing and insightful. It would be a pleasure to find out more about the kind of projects you work on and how we can help find you the talent to deliver them.
About the Author: Christopher McNamara is an Associate Director of Mood Group https://www.moodgroup.co.uk/the-team/view/20/christopher-mcnamara.aspx